Warrington Sports Club logo
Home | Facilities | Function Rooms | Corporate | Events | History | Club Sponsors | Contact Us | Associate Clubs

Warrington Sports Club
Walton Lea Road
Higher Walton, Warrington
Cheshire, WA4 6SJ

img Archery
img Cricket
img Hockey
img Rugby Union
img Squash
img Tennis
img Social
img Dancing
img 300 CLUB

Sport England at Warrington Sports Club

Warrington Sports Club
Welcome to Warrington Sports Club

Records in the Warrington library indicate that a cricket club was established in the town in 1837, and although this quickly faded out through lack of interest, a reformation took place within a few years, and it was this new body which formed the nucleus of our present Club.

In those days of underarm bowling, no pads and coloured clothing, the ground was sited in a field on the south side of Sankey Street, opposite Bank Hall, the home of Colonel Wilson-Patten, and today the Town Hall. Other grounds were in Froghall Lane and in School Brow opposite the home of the original Boteler Grammar School.

From 1852, the Club played in the grounds of Bank Hall, and it was here that Lancashire County Cricket Club played their first ever match against Birkenhead Park and the gentlemen of Cheshire, several Warrington players taking part in the challenge. However, when the corporation purchased the premises in 1873 to establish offices and a public park, cricket was forbidden.

Thus in 1874 Lord Winmarleigh granted the club a 15 year lease on land in Arpley Meadows and nine years later a two storey pavilion was erected at a cost of £460.

In 1889 when the lease was expiring and notice was given to quit, the Club’s position was desperate, so the members along, with several local businesses, bought shares in Warrington Cricket Club Ground Co Ltd, which then purchased the land at Arpley from Lord Winmarleigh. The sole purpose of the Company was to allow the Cricket Club to continue, and consequently the land was leased to the Trustees of the Club on a more permanent basis. Over a long period, the Trustees have acquired about 90% of the Company’s shares.

Bowling greens and tennis courts were introduced to the Club in the 1880’s and Stockton Heath Hockey Club, founded in 1893, was allowed to use the facilities from 1905. In 1925, after a merger with Grappenhall and Latchford Hockey Clubs, a new Hockey Club was formed. The cricketers formally embraced Warrington Hockey Club, and the Club was henceforth known as Warrington Cricket, Bowling, Tennis and Hockey Club.

By the early 1960’s, the Club had drifted into dire straights. With the bowling and tennis sections having all but disappeared the Club was kept alive by the cricket and hockey players whose members staffed the bar and undertook most of the ground maintenance and preparation. Consequently, a few senior members decided that the Club’s future could be secured only by selling the land in Arpley and re-establishing the Club in new surroundings. 

This was accomplished over a five year period, resulting in the new premises we now have at Walton Lea. The first cricket match took place on 27th April 1968 on the upper square, which being part of the old bowling green, had been moved from Arpley two years earlier. The provision of squash courts at the new Club immediately proved to be a great attraction, tennis enjoyed a revival, and archery was introduced. 

In the early 90’s, it was decided by Lancashire Hockey to move from playing on grass pitches to all weather pitches. Although this was good for the sport as a whole, it proved to be a problem for Warrington Sports Club as we could not facilitate an all weather playing surface. The club was keen to find a sport which could utilise the existing hockey grass pitches and in 1997 discussions took place between Warrington Rugby Union FC and ourselves. Then in early 2003, Warrington Rugby Union’s club house was the subject of an arson attack and WSC stepped in to offer the use of our facilities. In 2005 a formal agreement was made and the two clubs merged. Warrington Sports Club now continues to go from strength to strength with plans to acquire more land to facilitate increased training and development.

2008 will see the 40th anniversary of Warrington Sports Club and various events will be held throughout the year to commemorate this milestone.

Warrington Sports Club | Tel: 01925 263210 Fax: 01925 266487
Walton Lea Road, Higher Walton, Warrington, Cheshire, WA4 6SJ